EXPLOITED A woman I was seeing emotionally blackmailed me into buying her expensive gadgets.
DEAR DEIDRE: I WAS seeing a woman who emotionally blackmailed me into getting her the latest mobile phone and a laptop.
She is beautiful and I felt lucky that she wanted to date me.
I am 45 and she is 30. She had lost her job and fallen on hard times, so she was very unhappy.
I offered to help her out and give her some money to buy new clothes. She was loving towards me for a month, but then she started to change.
She turned cold, demanding the phone and laptop. Once she got what she wanted, she said I was too boring and she dumped me.
I have blocked her on social media but have now lost all confidence in women.
It was a lack of confidence in your own value that led to you being vulnerable like this.
My e-leaflet, Raising Self-Esteem, will help you to develop a better self-confidence for your future relationships.
Source: (The Sun Newspaper – Deidre Sanders – 13 Mai 2020)
- blackmail to force someone to do something by using threats or manipulating their feelings.
Tradução > chantagear.
- gadget a small machine or device which does something useful.
Tradução > aparelho, dispositivo.
- get to buy.
Tradução > comprar.
- date to regularly spend time with someone you have a romantic relationship with.
Tradução > namorar, ficar com, sair com, estar juntos.
- fall on hard times to lose your money and start to have a difficult life.
Tradução > atravessar um momento difícil, passar por dificuldades.
- help sb out to help someone, especially by giving them money or working for them.
Tradução > ajudar alguém, dar uma mão.
- towards in relation to something or someone.
Tradução > em relação a.
- turn cold to treat with disdain, snub.
Tradução > tratar com frieza, ficar indiferente.
- demand to ask for something very firmly and forcefully.
Tradução > exigir, pedir, demandar.
- boring not interesting or exciting.
Tradução > chato, entediante, sem graça.
- dump to suddenly end a romantic relationship you have been having with someone.
Tradução > terminar, largar, dar o fora, dar um pé na bunda.
- confidence a feeling of trust in someone or something.
Tradução > segurança, confiança.
- lack not having something, or not having enough of something.
Tradução > falta de algo, carência.
- e-leaflet > a leaflet in electronic format.
Tradução > folheto, panfleto em formato eletrônico.
- raise to cause something to become bigger or stronger, to increase.
Tradução > aumentar, elevar.
- self-esteem belief and confidence in your own ability and value.
Tradução > autoestima, amor-próprio.
- self-confidence the belief that you can do things well and that other people respect you.
Tradução > autoconfiança.