Aprenda mais com as sentenças e o áudio. Amplie seu vocabulário.
HEALTH AND NO SAFETY | I’m worried my friend is being abused by her partner.
DEAR DEIDRE: I FEAR my friend is being abused by her partner.
We’ve been mates for ten years, since college.
We’re both 30, and even though I’m male and she’s female, it has always been purely platonic.
But she won’t even put my real name in her phone because her boyfriend, who’s 40, is so jealous.
I’m there under a woman’s name instead.
Since she moved in with him, I’ve barely seen her. She rarely goes out and, when she does, he texts her constantly.
She has changed so much. She used to be bubbly and happy and now she is withdrawn and subdued.
Once, I noticed bruises on her arm but she told me she’d knocked herself on the table.
I’ve tried talking to her about this but she says she’s fine and he’s just a bit “highly strung” and she loves him.
I’m so worried for her.
DEIDRE SAYS: You are right to be concerned.
This does sound like an abusive relationship. Please read my support pack on Abusive Partners and discreetly pass a copy to her – it tells her where to get support.
Show her you are there for her, even if she tries to push you away.
Perhaps you could agree on a safe word so if she feels in danger she will call you.
- bruise a mark that you get on your body if you are hit or if you knock against something.
Tradução > hematoma, contusão, ferimento, machucado.
- jealous feeling unhappy because someone has something that you wish you had.
Tradução > com ciúmes, enciumado.
- barely hardly, only just, only with great difficulty or effort.
Tradução > mal, quase não.
- bubbly always happy, friendly, and eager to do things.
Tradução > animado, energético.
- withdrawn very shy and quiet, and concerned only about your own thoughts.
Tradução > retraído, introvertido, fechado, distante.
- subdued unusually quiet and possibly unhappy.
Tradução > quieto, desanimado, calado.
- highly strung nervous and easily upset or excited.
Tradução > muito tenso, bastante nervoso.
- push sb away to reject the emotional support or intimacy of a friend, family member, or romantic partner.
Tradução > afastar, repelir, rejeitar.
Definitions: (Waytogo and Dictionary Cambridge/Collins/Longman/Macmillan/Oxford/Lexico)
Aprenda Inglês com texto e áudio. Texto de nativos para ampliar seu vocabulário de forma divertida e dinâmica. English audio and text. Dear Deidre, Lição com texto e áudio, melhore seu vocabulário.