FLYING FEARS | We want to take the kids on holiday abroad but I’m terrified of flying.
DEAR DEIDRE: MY husband and I are hoping to take our kids on holiday abroad for the first time this October half-term but I’m terrified of flying.
The children are so excited and so is my husband. We’ve been together for eight years and we’ve never been on holiday overseas together.
I’m 32, my husband is 36 and our children are seven and five.
When I was a teenager I was on a flight back from Spain that hit turbulence. It terrified me.
My husband has no idea about my phobia but I’m now getting more anxious.
I don’t want to affect the children with my fear.
Share your worry with your husband because keeping it secret is adding to the pressure you feel.
Learn some relaxation techniques so you can let the panic wash over you.
These are explained in my support pack on Coping With Panic Attacks.
Yours is such a common problem there are special fear-of-flying courses that will help. Check out fearlessflyer.easyjet.com (0203 813 1644).
- anxious feeling worried or nervous.
Tradução > ansioso, aflito, preocupado.
- abroad in or to a foreign country.
Tradução > no exterior, no estrangeiro, fora, lá fora.
- terrified very frightened.
Tradução > aterrorizado, apavorado, assustado.
- half-term a short holiday from school or university in the middle of a term.
Tradução > férias de meio de ano, dias de folga no meio do semestre.
- overseas in, from, or to countries that are across the sea.
Tradução > no exterior, no estrangeiro, lá fora.
- hit to come into violent contact with, to experience or encounter.
Tradução > atingir, pegar, enfrentar, passar por, encontrar.
- phobia a type of anxiety disorder that involves an extreme fear of something.
Tradução > fobia, medo.
- so in order that.
Tradução > para que, a fim de que, de forma que, assim.
- wash over you it does not affect you in any way, to have little effect on you.
Tradução > passar por você, não afetar você,
- cope to deal successfully with something difficult.
Tradução > lidar, enfrentar, superar.
- fear-of-flying a fear of being on an airplane, or other flying vehicle, such as a helicopter.
Tradução > medo de voar, medo de andar de avião.
Definitions: (Waytogo and Dictionary Cambridge/Collins/Longman/Macmillan/Oxford/Lexico)